Of all the quick-n-easy meals I've been posting lately, this one is probably the easiest.
Or laziest. However you want to look at it 🙂
It barely qualifies as a "recipe", so please just use this technique to help make your kitchen life easier. It will bring you loads of delicious home cooking, without too much cooking 🙂
How To Make Quick Roasted Chicken with Chipotle Spice Rub
Roasting the chicken on top of the veggies will saturate them with savoriness -- this is a simple technique that will bring you good eats for life!
There's leeway on the veggie combo, so feel free to use what you have available. For this batch I used:
1 Poblano chile Are Poblanos spicy?
Add a glug of oil to your roasting dish and toss the chopped veggies in it.
You can also give them a healthy sprinkling of salt and pepper at this point.
There's also leeway on the spice rub for the chicken.
So for this batch I used:
1 tablespoon adobo sauce
1/4 teaspoon Mexican oregano What the heck is Mexican oregano?
1/4 teaspoon salt
freshly cracked black pepper
glug of olive oil
Combine well and then rub this mixture into the chicken. If applicable, try to get some of the spice rub inside the skin.
I used a bone-in chicken breast for this meal, but you can always use your preferred cut of chicken.
A bone-in chicken breast typically needs around 40-45 minutes in the oven (400F) to fully roast. A boneless chicken breast would need less.
Once the inside temp of the chicken is registering 160F you can take it out.
Here's how this batch looked after 45 minutes:
Yum! Those veggies have been cooking in the chicken juices and they are dee-licious.
Let the chicken rest for a few minutes and then serve it up!
It takes 5 minutes of prep to pull together this flexible, improvised meal. But when it's fresh out of the oven it is tremendously satisfying!
Please keep this technique in mind for weeknights when you don't want to spend too much time in the kitchen. It's a real treat to plop all of this in the oven and then chill out for a bit, knowing you've got some delicious home cooking coming your way 🙂
Quick Roasted Chicken with Chipotle Spice Rub
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 potato
- 1-2 carrots
- 1/2 onion
- 1 Poblano chile (optional)
For the spice rub:
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (or chile powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- glug of olive oil
- Start by rinsing and chopping up your veggies. There is leeway on the veggies so feel free to use what you have available. I chopped up: 1 potato, 2 carrots, 1/2 onion, and 1 Poblano chile. Add a glug of olive oil to your roasting dish and toss the veggies in it, then give them a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- There's also leeway on the spice rub, so feel free to use chile powder if that's what you have available. For this batch I used: 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from a can of chipotles, 1/4 teaspoon Mexican oregano, 1/4 teaspoon salt, freshly cracked black pepper, and 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. Combine well.
- Coat your chicken thoroughly with the spice rub -- I like to use my fingers to ensure some of the mixture gets inside the skin.
- Place the chicken on top of the veggies. Roast everything for 30-45 minutes at 400F, depending on the cut of chicken. When the inside temp of the chicken registers 160F it's done. Note: I used a bone-in chicken breast and it took 45 minutes to roast.
- Remove the roasting dish from the oven and let the chicken rest for a few minutes.
- Serve immediately! Each plate gets a pile of veggies and plenty of the spice-rubbed roasted chicken. Enjoy!
Here's the latest post: Bean and Egg Tostadas.