It’s tough to beat these Easy Burrito Bowls. Fast, healthy, and they can be customized to your liking with minimal effort. Sound too good to be true?
Easy Burrito Bowls with Creamy Avocado Sauce Recipe
Of course, they do have a green secret weapon that helps make them so versatile.
This Creamy Avocado Sauce is beyond delicious and exists solely to make burrito bowls a part of your life.
It’s surpisingly easy to make and the WTIHT ratio is off the charts (Wait This Is Healthy Too?)
In a blender or food processor combine the flesh of one avocado, 2 garlic cloves, 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt, the juice of one lime, 1/2 jalapeno, 15-20 sprigs of cilantro, 2 Tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and some freshly ground pepper.
Add a splash of water to get it started, blend together, and take a taste.
And now you’ve got a decision to make. The yogurt only version of this sauce is already muy bueno. But if you add a drizzle of cream or a dollop of mayonnaise it becomes epic. I think it’s worth trying the epic version the first time you make it and then you can always scale back to the yogurt only version in the future.
For this batch I added another squeeze of lime, another pinch of salt, and one tablespoon of mayonnaise.
Also note that you can start with just 1/4 of the jalapeno if you want a less spicy version.
You’ve got lots of option for a protein source but I used a single chicken breast seasoned with salt, pepper, and ground New Mexican chile. This gets sauteed in a dollop of oil with some roughly chopped onion.
And for the rice I’m using our Cilantro Lime Rice. You simply add a cilantro-lime-garlic puree to a batch of cooked rice and combine well. I’ll put instructions for this in the recipe box below.
Then it’s just a matter of layering your burrito bowl exactly as you see fit. Feel free to get creative as you’ve got lots of leeway when there is creamy avocado deliciousness binding everything together.
I used rice, black beans, chicken, avocado bits, tomatoes, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, and of course a mammoth drizzle of the Creamy Avocado Sauce.
Let me know how your version turns out, I’d love to hear about it.
Easy Burrito Bowls with Creamy Avocado Sauce
Creamy Avocado Sauce:
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 jalapeno
- 2 garlic cloves
- 15-20 cilantro sprigs
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper
- splash of water
- 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise (optional)
Cilantro Lime Rice:
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups stock (water is adequate substitute)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (approx 1/2 a bunch)
- 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 chicken breast
- seasoning for chicken
- 2-3 Tablespoons chopped onion (for the chicken)
- black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 avocado
- shredded Monterey Jack cheese (approximately 1/4 cup)
- 1 tomato
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- Cotija cheese (optional)
- For the Cilantro Lime rice, start by sauteing 1 cup rice in a dollop of oil over medium heat until it turns opaque and brown. Add 2 cups of stock (or water) and ½ teaspoon of salt to the rice. Bring to a boil and then reduce temp to a simmer, letting it cook until the liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat, cover, and let rice sit in its own steam for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the juice of one lime (approximately 2 Tablespoons juice), 1 garlic clove, and ½ bunch of rinsed cilantro to a blender. Add a dollop of water and blend until combined. Add this cilantro-lime mixture to the cooked rice and taste for seasoning.
- For the chicken, season a chopped chicken breast with oil, salt, pepper and chili powder. Saute 2-3 Tablespoons of chopped onion over medium heat for a few minutes. Add the chopped chicken pieces and cook until done, approximately 3-5 minutes on each side.
- For the Creamy Avocado Sauce, add the following ingredients to a blender or food processor: flesh of 1 avocado, 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt, 1/2 jalapeno, 2 garlic cloves, 15-20 sprigs cilantro, juice of 1 lime, 2 Tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, freshly ground pepper, and a splash of water. Combine together and taste test, adding additional salt and lime if you want. You can also add a drizzle of cream or 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise to the Avocado sauce.
- In a bowl, add layers of rice, black beans, chicken, avocado bits, tomatoes, cheese and top with the Creamy Avocado Sauce.
- Optional garnishes include chopped cilantro and Cotija cheese.
Like this dish? You might also like our Quinoa Avocado Salad.
And if you made the Creamy Avocado Sauce you’ve already got everything you need to make a delicious Lime Crema.