Freshly made Pico de Gallo is a kitchen gamechanger! It's the perfect example of the sum being far greater than the parts.
When it's freshly chopped it has a vibrant flavor that livens up everything in a ten foot radius.
I get tons of mileage from Pico, so I'm hoping these 11 recipe ideas help to make it a regular part of your kitchen routine.
And if you're new to Pico, I'll put the recipe box for Authentic Pico de Gallo at the bottom of this post -- it's as easy as it gets! All you're doing is chopping and combining these ingredients in a bowl:
And remember that you can make a milder version by using only a sliver of that jalapeno.
Okay, here are 11 recipes on my site that take full advantage of the awesomeness of Pico de Gallo. I hope you find some keepers here!
Click the recipe name and it will take you to a page on this site where you can print out or take a pic of the instructions.
Okay, I hope you have some new ideas for your Pico de Gallo!
I'll put the recipe box for a quick, easy batch of Pico de Gallo below. Enjoy!!
Authentic, Well-Balanced Pico de Gallo
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 15-20 sprigs cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (plus more to taste)
- Give the tomatoes, jalapeno, and cilantro a good rinse. Peel the onion and de-stem the tomatoes and jalapeno. I usually twist off and discard the bottom, thicker portions of the cilantro stems, but keep the upper portion of the stems that hold the leaves together.
- Finely chop the 2 tomatoes, 1/2 onion, and jalapeno into 1/4" sized chunks. Finely dice the cilantro. For a milder version you can start by using only 1/2 of the jalapeno and adding more incrementally if you want more heat.
- Combine the tomato, onion, jalapeno and cilantro in a mixing bowl. Add a heaping 1/4 teaspoon of salt and the juice of a single lime. Mix together well and taste for seasoning. Add additional salt and lime if necessary (I added more salt to this batch).
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Want to see the latest post? It's this Chicken Taco Bar for 12: