Avocado Hummus? Sound crazy?!
If you’re new to this combo then you’re in for a treat. It couldn’t be easier to make and it’s one of the creamiest, most delicious concoctions your kitchen will ever produce.
Avocado Hummus Recipe
It’s also kinda surprising that it’s good for you, combining healthy fats from the avocados and protein from the chickpeas. A few bites later and you’ll be imagining various ways to serve it for dinner. I’ll put a pic of an awesome tostada combo down below, but first things first, let’s make it!
Start by draining and rinsing a can of chickpeas. Add to a blender along with:
2 garlic cloves
2 Tablespoons lime juice (approx. 1 lime)
15-20 sprigs cilantro
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper
2 Tablespoons olive oil
splash of water
Note that we are only using 1/2 of a jalapeno. I think this combo works best when there is just a hint of heat, but of course you are welcome to add the other 1/2 of the jalapeno to amp it up.
It’s also worth pointing out that we aren’t using any tahini in this version. Tahini is traditionally used to make hummus, but I found that it dulled the flavors too much in this recipe so I’ve stopped adding it in.
Give it a good blend; you might need to give it a couple stirs to get it started. (Or you can use a food processor.)
Take a taste for seasoning. I added a squeeze of lime and another pinch of salt to this batch.
You’re left with a creamy delight that can be used in an infinite number of ways. So good!
Of course, tortilla chips are a good option. But pita chips or veggies are great options too.
We’ve also used it on tostadas before.
That’s an Avocado Hummus and Cucumber Pico de Gallo Tostada that has the potential to turn even the mightiest of carnivores into a vegan. (Recipe here.)
But it’s worth starting simple and getting a feel for the avocado hummus first. Even a single chip can be a worthy partner.
If your kitchen regularly stocks the ingredients for guacamole, then start keeping a can of chickpeas in your cabinet and you’ll always have the option of making this healthy delight.
Spicy Avocado Hummus
- 2 avocados
- 1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (approx. 1 lime)
- 15-20 sprigs cilantro (rinsed and bottoms twisted off)
- 1/2 jalapeno
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- splash water
- Drain and rinse a can of chickpeas.
- Add chickpeas to a blender or food processor along with the flesh of 2 avocados, 2 peeled garlic cloves, 2 Tablespoons lime juice, 15-20 sprigs cilantro (rinsed and bottoms twisted off), 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, freshly ground pepper, and 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- Add a splash of water to the blender and blend until combined well. Taste for seasoning. (I added a squeeze of lime and another pinch of salt to this batch).
- Serve immediately. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Here’s our latest recipe: 15 Minute Chicken Guacamole Quesadillas.